UC Davis 340B Pharmacy
The UC Davis Hemostasis and Thrombosis Center has a 340B Pharmacy. This means that we are working with a national management service to provide factor and supplies to bleeding disorder patients. The exciting parts of this program are: 1) because we are a federally funded hemophilia treatment center, we are able to purchase factor at significantly reduced prices and pass this discount on to our patients who choose to participate in the program, and 2) the proceeds from this program will be returned to this hemophilia treatment center to support our efforts to provide better comprehensive care.
We are offering this program for the following reasons:
- The federal funding for hemophilia treatment centers across the United States has not increased in 10 years. As a matter of fact, these funds have been reduced this year, and there are no guarantees that further reductions will not occur in the future.
- The number of patients followed at the UC Davis Hemostasis and Thrombosis Center has been increasing steadily over the last several years.
- The amount of support from the UC Davis Health for our hemophilia treatment center is very limited. Other sources of income are needed to support the salaries of our nurses, social worker, program coordinator and program assistant, as well as the services of our physical therapist. We must also pay for the cost of our phones, mail service, photocopies, pagers, office supplies and rent. Additionally, the University receives 8% of our grant monies as indirect costs.
- Income from this program allowed us to hire both a social worker and office assistant in 2010. With the contracted salaries paid to employees of the UC Davis Health, the cost of salaries and benefits continues to rise, while our federal funding has remained frozen.
- The Federal Government has encouraged the hemophilia treatment centers to start 340B programs as a way to provide support and continue the goals related to the prevention and treatment of the complications of bleeding disorders.
- The reduced price charged for factor in this program will also lengthen the time it will take to reach lifetime insurance caps.
Hemophilia treatment centers have a patient choice policy and we strictly adhere to this policy. Some insurance companies restrict patient access to a single home care company in order to obtain advantageous pricing. However, whether patients are covered by private insurance or public programs like CCS, GHPP or Medi-Cal, they may be able to choose the UC Davis 340B Pharmacy.
Just like commercial home care companies, UC Davis 340B Pharmacy offers the following:
- All brands of factor products, supplies and services.
- Excellent customer service.
- Convenient home delivery provided on all orders.
- Access to reimbursement experts familiar with bleeding disorders.
Patients who are interested in UC Davis 340B Pharmacy should call (916) 734-3461 or (866) 492-1665 for additional information on our services.