Answers from UC Davis Health
Sometimes it can seem like open enrollment presents us with a thousand questions about all of the different health care choices out there.
At UC Davis Health, we’re proud to embody the answer to what we believe are the most important questions of all:
Choosing a UC Davis Medical Group physician for your primary care means gaining something priceless – the peace of mind that comes with having a powerful personal connection to the health expertise of a world-class research university.
We’re proud to serve your family’s everyday health needs with a unique combination of outstanding, patient-centered care and the ability to leverage the inimitable resources of the region’s only academic health system, such as:
- nationally ranked expertise in a wide range of medical specialties
- leading-edge technologies, diagnostics and treatment options, and
- a tradition of important insights and advancements in health and wellness.
To find more answers about why and how to choose a UC Davis Medical Group physician for your personal doctor in 2018, please browse below.
And if you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 800-2-UCDAVIS (1-800-282-3284). We’ll be ready... with answers!
1. Choose the right plan
The first step on your list is to make sure that your health plan for 2018 includes UC Davis Medical Group.
If you use an insurance broker, you can call your broker and ask for alternatives that include UC Davis Medical Group.
If you get your health insurance from your employer, here are some steps to take:
- Contact your employer’s benefits office or review their open enrollment materials, and see which health insurance plans will be offered for 2018.
- Next, see which of those plans will be accepted by UC Davis Medical Group in 2018. For a list of the plans we accept, visit our online listing page or call our Consumer Resource Center at 800-2-UCDAVIS (800-282-3284) and speak to a representative.
2. Then choose UC Davis
Next, choose UC Davis Medical Group as your medical group for 2018 during open enrollment.
3. Then choose your doctor
Now it's time to find and choose your personal UC Davis primary care physician.
You can either:
1. Call 800-2-UCDAVIS to speak with a representative who will help match you to a primary-care doctor; or
2. Use the Find a Doctor tool on the UC Davis Health System website to search online:
- Visit the Find a Doctor tool.
- Use the menus to search for primary care doctors conveniently located near where you live or work.
- Or, if you know the name of a primary care doctor, search for her or him by name.
- Review our doctors' biographical information to learn more about your choices.
- Once you have identified your preferred office location and physician, verify that the doctor you've chosen is still accepting new patients (for some doctors with limited availability, patient lists can fill quickly). You can either call the specific clinic phone number listed on the doctor's online biography page, or call 800-2-UCDAVIS (1-800-282-3284).
Please note that if some physicians at certain locations are no longer accepting new patients during this open enrollment period, other physicians at the same location may be. Be sure to ask the medical office about available physicians!
We accept a wide variety of health insurance plans, including HMO and PPO plans from Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Health Net and United Healthcare, among others.
If your health insurance plan doesn't include UC Davis Medical Group, you may want to consider switching health plans during your open enrollment period.
Our UC Davis Medical Group primary care offices are located in convenient locations in 10 communities across the region, from Auburn to Elk Grove. We also partner with Rideout Health to provide primary care in the Yuba City/Marysville area.
Several of our primary care clinics offer on-site imaging and support services, office hours with UC Davis specialists, and/or telehealth links to specialists at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento.
Our Find A Doctor tool can help you search for physicians by location, name, specialty or keyword. Our physician biographies include information about our doctors' philosophies of care, clinical interests, educations, honors and research or professional activities.
Use the "Find Primary Care Providers" field to search specifically for primary care physicians in family medicine, internal medicine or pediatrics.
Representatives at our Consumer Resource Center at 800-2-UCDAVIS (1-800-282-3284) can also help you to select a physician that meets your needs.
Some of the common threads shared by our UC Davis Medical Group physicians include:
- An emphasis on wellness
- Interest in applying the latest knowledge to solve health problems
- Access to new therapies and advanced technologies when needed
- A commitment a welcoming environment and culturally sensitive care to patients of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, religions, languages and abilities.
As an academic organization that's constantly studying how to improve the practice of medicine, we know how important it is to work with you to understand your perspective, concerns, ideas and expectations – as well as your symptoms.
All UC Davis Medical Group primary care clinics have earned the prestigious multiyear Patient-Centered Medical Home designation from the nonprofit National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). The medical home is a contemporary model designed to help you live a healthier life by taking a more structured, teamwork-based approach to supporting your personal needs and coordinating your care. This allows your personal doctor to spend more time listening to you.
Our focus on patient-centered care is grounded in our own longstanding research about the importance of human interaction in medicine. For example, UC Davis studies have found that physicians who have more personalized discussions with patients, and encourage them to take a more active role in their own care, can help to lower medical costs and reduce the need for some services.
UC Davis Health offers a respectful, culturally sensitive health-care environment and we're proud to be a recognized leader in diversity and inclusion.
When needed, your UC Davis primary care physician and team can connect you with renowned UC Davis specialists on the leading edge of innovation and discovery in more than 150 areas of advanced medicine – meaning that you can be among the first to benefit from the latest treatments and technologies.
Most of our UC Davis primary care offices offer on-site specialty care in popular areas such as ob/gyn or cardiology, as well as access to specialists based at UC Davis Medical Center should the need arise.
To learn more about our medical specialties and locations, visit our specialty care listings page.
(Note: Most specialists require a referral from a primary care physician or another specialist. It's important to note that your ability to see a specialist may also be limited by your health plan. For more information on the specialty care referral process, please contact our Consumer Resource Center at 800-2-UCDAVIS.
We're proud to have earned a wide variety of national and international recognitions for medical excellence and significant contributions to health care.
For example, UC Davis Health is region’s only health system to offer nationally ranked expertise in a wide range of medical specialties. U.S. News & World Report ranked UC Davis Medical Center as one of the nation’s best hospitals for 2017-18 in 11 adult medical specialties, and UC Davis Children's Hospital among the best in five pediatric specialties.
And UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center is the only in inland Northern California to have earned "comprehensive" designation from the National Cancer Institute – one of the world’s most prestigious institutional honors in oncology, and awarded to only about one percent of cancer centers nationwide.
Learn more about our awards for quality in the links below.
The MyChart system allows you to communicate with your UC Davis physician’s office any time from any place with Internet access.
It's free, secure, convenient and confidential.
MyChart allows you to:
- request medical appointments
- communicate electronically and securely with your care team
- request prescription renewals
- view your health summary from the MyChart electronic health record
- view your test results, and
- access trusted health information resources.
We also offer text message appointment reminders.
The new UC Davis Health Virtual Clinic is now available on a 24/7 basis for diagnosis and treatment of common minor illnesses via video or telephone, without an urgent-care appointment or wait.
®MyChart Epic Systems Corporation
If you develop a sudden illness or urgent health problem, your UC Davis Medical Group primary care clinic may be able to accommodate a request for a same- or next-day urgent care appointment.
If an urgent-care appointment isn't available right away, or if you prefer to inquire about your health condition from home, we also offer the UC Davis Health Virtual Clinic as another option. This 24/7 "virtual urgent care" service includes board-certified doctors and nurse practitioners who provide consultation, diagnosis and treatment through video chat or over the phone, with no appointments needed.
Virtual Clinic providers can help treat a variety of common minor illnesses, such as cold and flu, pinkeye, sore throats and urinary tract infections. For more information, visit the Virtual Clinic homepage.
(In the event of an emergency, we always advise calling 911 or going to the nearest emergency room).