Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
Welcome to the UC Davis MIND Institute » and Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (CEDD) » resource page for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
What is Autism?
According to the most recent statistics from the Centers for Disease Control, nearly 1 in 68 children born today have or will eventually have autism. That means that an estimated 1.5 million Americans and their families struggle with a neurodevelopmental disorder that can limit a child's lifelong potential for independence. Autism has no cure. Its symptoms and severity differ among individuals with the same diagnosis, yet all affected by the disorder have impaired communication skills, difficulties initiating and sustaining social interactions and restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior and/or interests.
One of the major roadblocks to understanding the causes of and finding effective treatments for autism is that it has diverse outcomes. Some individuals have seizures, but others do not. Some have troubling gastrointestinal problems, but others have none. Some have severe developmental delays, but others have normal or even enhanced IQs. This heterogeneity raises the possibility that there are several types of autism, with a variety of causes. This complexity limits both scientific progress and the development of effective treatments. Thus far, research on autism has not produced precise definitions of autism subtypes based on biomedical and behavioral characteristics.
- American Academy of Pediatrics »
- Asperger Syndrome Education Network »
- Autism Internet Modules »
- Autism Society Society of America »
- Autism Speaks »
- California Department of Developmental Services »
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention »
- FEAT – Families for Early Autism Treatment »
- My Child Without Limits »
- National Autistic Society »
- National Institute of Mental Health »
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke - Asperger Syndrome »
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke - Autism »
- The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. »
- The National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorders »
- UC Davis Extension Autism Spectrum Disorders »
- Working to Prevent Wandering Incidents and Deaths Within the Autism Community »
- 1st 100 Days of an Autism Diagnosis »
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Handbook for Teachers (PDF) »
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Fact Sheet (PDF) »
- Bullying at School (PDF) »
- Challenging Behaviors Tool Kit (PDF) »
- FEAT - Families for Early Autism Treatment (PDF) »
- Immunization Safety and Autism (PDF) »
- Learning the Signs of Autism and the Importance of Acting Early (PDF) »
The websites listed are independent of the UC Davis MIND Institute and Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (CEDD). Resources are provided for information only and do not reflect the opinions or endorsement of the UC Davis MIND Institute and Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities.